NAD 533 turntable glass platter issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irengineer

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I found a forumite who has a glass platter for sale, to replace the wobbly MDF platter that came standard with my NAD 533 TT. I also got a bearing and sub platter included in the deal. The standard NAD sub platter is a plastic unit, while the one that came with the glass platter is a different material (but not metal). The shaft on the standard NAD plastic sub platter is 8mm in diameter, but the shaft on the new sub platter is 10mm. Can anyone shed light on this? The 10mm bearing does not fit the hole in my NAD plinth, there is a little bit of room around the bearing, while the standard 8mm shaft bearing fits snug. I test fitted the 10mm bearing by rolling a thin strip of paper around the bearing, the placing the bearing in the hole. The fit can be made snug, and I verified the bearing is centered by using a laser printer Rega protractor from Vinyl Engine. I'd like to use the better sub platter, it runs without any visible run out compared to the standard plastic sub platter. What is the best plan to fix the play around the 10mm bearing? The paper fix actually seems to work great. I checked all the geometry using a micrometer.

I want to get this bearing fix done, as I also bought a brand new Audio Technica AT120eb cartridge to fit to the NAD's Rega RB250 OEM tonearm. A 3mm cork mat will go on the glass platter as a test to compare against to wooly mat that was on the standard MDF platter.

Thanks! 

Latest posts