NAD 310 technical questions for the guru's

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend I bought another for the collection, a little NAD 310 after reading a bit about what they called SuSi circuitry using a bizarre and rather unique combination of bipolar and mosfet, and capacitor coupled output stage (yuck).

However this little thing I have to admit sounds charming, nice and balanced with an interesting mid/upper frequency tonal quality. It's modest 25W/channel indeed can deliver a whack of current making it sound like much larger equipment, or at least until one pushes the volume to far then it clips not so nicely. I got hold of the service manual and circuit diagrams and as I am most familiar with traditional class AB topology, this circuit is confusing me a bit. The preamp bit I am fine with, its the rest that is something I have not seen before and cant quite wrap my mind around. There is almost nothing out there explaining what and why they built it this way apart from cost savings.

Anybody have any idea of the technical merits of what the designer intended to do with such an unusual circuit? It certainly works in practice and sounds very decent at modest power levels, so this "oddball" is definitely staying in the collection as something a bit different from the norm.

Latest posts