My newest favourite winery

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Oooh , I have tried all the wines from the "Newcomer Winery of the Year 2023" awarded by Platters to Trade Winds Wines. They only make two wines so that was not so difficult! Finding them was a bit trickier as the brand is almost brand new (just over 18 months old!), but my local Norman Goodfellows has stock. Also online is good.

I drink many fewer white wines than reds - and when I do I prefer to have kept them for a couple of years in my cellar. Most SA Sauvignon Blancs are a turn off for me as the acid bite preferred by most producers means they are only palatable with food to soften that. At last - the 2021 Trade Winds Sauvignon Blanc is blended in the French style - so much better balance in the mouth. A very interesting perfumed nose, coupled with a long smooth finish made this very lekker. Four and a half stars from PLatters. I also found out that at the Investec Trophy Show in 2022 this wine scored 97 points out of 100!

The red was an even bigger pleasure for me - 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon, 100% Stellenbosch grapes and so well put together it just slips down the throat effortlessly. Deep color, black fruits on the palate, mouth filling succulence, gorgeous finish. And it the cheapest Platter 5 star Cab Sauv by a country mile. And Double Gold at Michelangelo 2022 as well I have bought 4 cases as I feel it will be even better for me in 2 years time or so.

At R159 a bottle, these are at the very top of my price bracket nowadays. I have had some much more expensive wines in the last year - Journeys End, Jordan, Kanonkop etc, that disappointed to various degrees. Try some Trade Winds for yourself!

Latest posts