My First Ever Speaker Project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0dja

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
OK. Here goes. Getting into this "audiophile sound stuff thing". Once I was an elec eng, now I'm a PR chick (with a dick).

Hopefully this thread is going to become a resource for other beginners (when there's a bit more info I will structure it):
* basics of theory and resources to read up
* where to get help
* where to get components, etc
* rules of thumb to get started/make progress to keep it fun

A couple of observations:
> This stuff is REALLY complicated. As you start to unpack ANY aspect, be it enclosures, drivers, efficiency, impedance matching, crossover design, AAARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHH it explodes into more complexity. There's a bit of a dearth of "get into it easy" - you go straight from "plug in the speaker" to "parasitic inductance caused by damp MDF fibres becoming microphonic and coupling with the flux capacitor".

> Because it gets so technical, it creates a perfect environment for snake-oil salesmen to sell expensive rubbish to suckers. R5000 power cables? R10,000 speaker cables? Green pens for CDs? Suckers!

My departure point is the project I bought off Shonver (if you were wondering where that's gone). I bought a new soldering station to replace my crappy old Weller (R780 Magnum from Communica) and a few bits and pieces, and started reading. And reading. And reading.

So let's get going...

Latest posts