Multi-Level Marketing and Similar Schemes

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karabo C

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently informed by a colleague of an ?exciting business opportunity?. I asked her to give me more details about the supposed opportunity but all I got in response was an invitation to attend a presentation/seminar. My spidey senses immediately tingled. Just to be polite, and uncomfortable to simply decline the invitation I agreed to attend the presentation at Cedar Square, Fourways. Surprise surprise ? that was the 5th multi-level marketing presentation I was suckered into attending.

No matter how I look into it, this nothing more than a good old fashioned pyramid scheme in a modern and apparently sophisticated guise.

The MO for these introductory sessions is always the same: You?re invited to these meetings by a friend, family member, colleague to these presentations, usually held weekly. You?ll hear some ridiculous stories (some very insulting to one?s intelligence) of how the ?business? came about and how ?investors? became so rich so quickly that they retired at 30 or some BS like that.  You?re shown videos and images of these people?s expensive sports cars, yachts, mansion and so forth. The popular hook these days is to claim how people who are professionals and successful in their own right bought into the business and became so wealthy they are now ambassadors of sorts for these organisations.

I?ve done quite a bit of reading on how these organisations operate and manage to thrive despite their dodgy and quite frankly despicable business practices. There are a lot of conspiracy theories out there on how they have managed to be so successful.

The cult-like practices these organisations employ are shocking, and sometimes border on the scary side. I find it amazing how normally rational, sensible and even cynical people buy into these schemes.  While the legality of these so-called businesses/schemes is questionable, I don?t think it?s an ethical form of business.

What are the views on this?