Molex connector

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naboo

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps you will forgive  me for posting what  is not really  audio related (it does make beep :)

Long story  short: I am fixing a mame arcade machine that  I bought  on-forum. The motherboard is stuffed, and my replacement solution is a laptop.

The joysticks in the machine plug directly onto the motherboard of the previous pc. I have managed to wire this to an external USB port on the laptop, and it works without smoking (I was genuinely surprised!)

My last remaining stumbling block, is that I need to provide power to joystick. The power interface to the joystick is an old  molex adapter that pc's used before sata. The pinout is +5v/g/g/+12v.

I could dedicate a PC power supply to power the joystick, but it is obviously inefficient, and the atx power supplies don't switch on unless connected to m/board.

So how do I power the joystick? An option is a 12v wallwort for the 12v section, and use USB port on laptop for the 5v section - but I have no idea how to measure the amps required. I tried with my multimeter but it measures nothing.

Any other ideas /suggestions ?

bd1dd30bcac0beeace379d54ded74660.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts