Minimising sound "leakage" from the Hi-fi room

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico V

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks

A question that I'm hoping you can help me out with.
In my hi-fi room I have a stero setup consisting of 2x Jamo D590 (peaking 280W/Rms) bi-wired from a Rotel RMB1075 and an RC1090. Marantz SA8003 SACD player. Obviously not the best there is but quite okay for the poor man's hi-fi.

My challenge is this: The room has an opening (1.2m wide x 2.1m high with no door to close it) to the rest of the house. The house is very accoustic and the sound - even at the lowest of audible volumes - travels right throughout the house. It doesn't work with an 11 month old baby and a 5 year old boy who both need to sleep while I want to emerse myself in my passion of music listening. Question: What would you folks recommend I close the entrance to the hifi room with? I tried MDF board (cupboard) doors, custom made for the opening but it does very little. I'm thinking high density foam together withe the MDF might help some more. The expectation is not to seal in the sound - just to take the sleep-interrupting impact out of it.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Nico

Latest posts