Meniscus Audio Mandolin Build - Design by Jeff Bagby

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makepeace

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has been something I've wanted to do for about 5 years.

I really want to get into doing some very basic music recording, mixing and mastering. I've just got myself a pair of Massdrop AKG K7XX open monitors (they are amazing so far, 30 hrs in), but what I've really want is a great set of near field reference monitors. I did a whole whack of research back in the day, which tempted me between buying off the shelf passives, actives or building a set of actives or passives.

Decided to go with the latter as I love to get my hands dirty and figured I could get better bang for buck that way. I'm building a power amp and preamp as per my other thread, but this one will be about the Mandolin speakers designed by Jeff Bagby to complement an old pair of B&Os for a more "normal" sound. R30 000 supposed sound value for about R7000, all told. And they are really flat.

Capture.png

Here's what the kit looks like:

Mandolin.jpg

Contents of the kit as per their website are as follows:

SB29RDC, Ring Tweeter
SB17NRXC-8-UC, 6.5" Mid Bass
Assembled Crossovers using PulseX caps and our inductors
Big Post, binding posts
Internal damping material
Port Tube
Hook Up wire
Mounting screws.

I ordered the barebones kit which only includes unassembled crossovers, drivers and I added the port tubes. Obviously plans for the cabs are included. I mostly did this to save on shipping charges, and all of the other stuff is easy to get locally.

The kit is on the way to me now. I will keep this thread updated. Very much excite!