Media room build log

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LambrosK

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly I want to thank everyone on the forum for the various insightful and helpful threads which has allowed me to build a space that I am thoroughly enjoying. Late last year I completed construction on a new home which included a small media room (3.5m x 5.5m) for me to escape daily stresses and not have to worry about WAF. Thanks to this forum, I had listened to and bought all the HT equipment before the foundations were even set but only really got stuck into DIY-ing the room this year.

I thought I would share how the space has evolved over the past months ?

The raw and plastered room ready for finishing ? double-brick construction with air gap and plenty conduits in the walls and floor:
A1_zpsxnmmbjhv.jpg

Rear view with recess for equipment and cables ? two dedicated power lines (one from the mains and another for UPS):
A2_zpskf6twa8c.jpg

Fast forward, walls rhino-lighted, cables pulled through, thick carpet installed, and test fitting 106? JK screen with temporary fitting of acoustic absorbers/diffusers (Foamrite):
B1_zpssdsxiv7q.jpg

Cables, brackets, rails and aircon installed:
B2_zpsxuxtpze0.jpg

Painted front wall and ceiling matt black and begun calibrating projector alignment and colour ? left the walls light grey as I didn?t want to make the room look much smaller than it already is:
C1_zpsuqxr44xh.jpg

Fast forward, primary and secondary reflection points taken care of, equipment installed for testing and some of my vintage gear sitting happily in the front:
D1_zps5bbljuy2.jpg

Rear view of temporary setup while I continued to tweak:
D2_zpsyuu9spk8.jpg

Finally got cables neatly organised, reinforced shelving while retaining sliding for easy access:
E1_zps5qevxfv2.jpg

Finished rack/recess with compressed cotton and foam to tame the bass that collects in there (will need some Rockwool but tolerable in its current state):
E2_zpsz89mbirg.jpg

Rear view of current setup with diffusors framed and covered ? still need to add third recliner to the middle:
E3_zpseb7e3wpm.jpg

Front views with revised vintage/stereo setup:
E4_zpspyqgebeq.jpg

E5_zpsgtjxhnho.jpg

Still lots of things to improve in the HT (measurements, better bass trapping) and stereo department (speakers, stands, positioning, etc.), but enjoying the space, peace and ?relative? quiet.

Thanks for looking and again for all the great threads!