Mars Exceller SET Ultra-linear

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoIsJOB

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I had the privilege of being able to attend a workshop with Karel to build an Exceller amp based on the SET88 design (mine was the ultra-linear variant).
I saved up for it quite aggressively and I am VERY happy I did.

Please forgive my soldering skills - I had to learn how to properly solder from Mr. [member=817]Mars[/member] throughout the entire workshop, but thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it (even the parts where you think you did a good job and the master shows the apprentice his faults - but it's something I'm used to, coming from a swimming background where nothing but perfect technique was acceptable to my coach).
At least now I know the importance of regulating heat, tinning the tip and where to be careful of shocks.

I'll be revisiting the inside as soon as my new soldering iron tips arrive to tidy up some of my soldering work and do proper cable management and shielding, as well connecting the 3rd input.

Are there any suggestions regarding the build and placement on my desktop, as well as shielding and cable management? I'm aware of a few I need to route away from the transformers (the blue).
For instance, can I use a glue gun for cable management, or are there better ways to do it as I honestly have no idea (I'm looking at Youtube, though).
I'll be building a pair of speaker stands for the FR100s when I move in January, as the NHT's will serve as the speakers in my living room (won't have a TV) from a NAD 3020 Series 20, while the Exceller will be my desktop driver (which is also my work and movie station - hence the 32" monitor).
I'm also looking at acquiring brushed aluminium pots for the front panel to better fit in with the Mars logo.

Weereens dankie, Karel [member=817]Mars[/member] - jou werkswinkel het my regtig baie geleer en gehelp en die geselsies tussendeur oor geskiedenis en ander topics was 'n fees.  :dop:
Ek het al klaar begin kyk na ontwerpe vir daardie bass pedal wat ek wil bou as 'n tube buffer op my pedalboard.  :O0: :flame:

Latest posts