Magneplanar MG-IIIa refurbishing project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nad-mad

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of Magneplanar MG-IIIa speakers and thought that it would be an awesome winter-project to refurbish them back to their original state. 
They are in a fair condition given their age but there are some work to be done and some money to be spent. 
I think they might have been standing in a garage or storeroom for a while as the ocean air has claimed it's toll - many of the exposed parts (on the X-overs and back of the speakers) shows signs of corrosion/rust.  The material at the back of the speakers have been torn for previous repairs, but all the wood is still in perfect condition - just needs a little TLC. 

The "to do" list will be as follows:
1)  Sand off and varnish all wooden parts
2)  Build new stands - the steel brackets they come with is a little daft and not very appealing.  I saw that someone has made new stands for Maggies from oak and it blended in prefectly.
3)  Treat all corroded/rusted parts and restore - I might have to replace some of these parts.  Any idea where I can source them locally (Cape Town)?
4)  One of the ribbon tweeter has some damage and will probably break - replace
5)  One of the coils in the X-over has come apart and will need replacing - I've seen that some guys replace the components in the X-overs to get better performance from them.  Is this wise?
6)  Replace cream covering with black - what is it called and where can I get some?

Any ideas and inputs will be appreciated!

Latest posts