Linkwitz Lab LXMini Build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaikan

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

Not sure how I came across the Linkwitz Lab website, but the LXMini's looked like an easy and interesting (perhaps not WAF approved) build. Also saw some good reviews on them, so while I was away on business in the US, I snapped up the oppotrunity to get the kit from Madisound whilst saving a bunch on "other costs"... I brought over just the drivers and the MiniDSP, the rest I would source locally.

Its a 2-way speaker built using a Seas 4" "full range" driver and a Seas 6" woofer held together by PVC piping. Crossover is electronic via a MiniDSP 2x4.
Each speaker requires 2 channels of amplification, initially, I'll drive them with a pair of Rotel RB-980BX's I have lying around.

Drivers - Seas FUR10B Fullrange and Seas L16RN-SL Woofer
jTBJxF.jpg

Here we have a Marley Pipe coupler, glued to a home made driver to pipe coupler MDF "plate". At this stage, I've applied sanding sealer to hopefully seal the MDF in prep for a white coat of spray paint
rr5ktd.jpg

Here's how the fullranger and woofer assembly will look
fxQEuY.jpg

PVC pipe, I found out very quickly that sourcing the right PVC pipe according to SL specification would prove to be more difficult as US pipe specifications are different.
Its quite easy to find 110mm pipe, but finding a pipe with thicker walls is a little more difficult. You can easily source the "beige" 110mm pipe which has ultra thin walls from Builders Warehouse, or you can try get a 110mm class 16 pressure pipe from a speciality plumbing vendor, which is closest to the Linkwits Lab specifications, but you have to by a 6m length, of which you need less than half of. Luckily I found something inbetween at Cash Build, this pipe has thicker walls and was available in a 2m lengths.
9Rk4m4.jpg

Base of the speaker, PVC end cap sourced at Builders and a 12" 16mm MDF base plate.
HD1s4t.jpg

Next step is a spray job, I think satin white should look okay.
Perhaps they'll be ready for the upcoming 2016 DIY meet, they should sound good in a smallish room from what I've read.

Where can I get some decent but not too expensive speaker binding posts, I'll need 8 of them. I'm thinking I can have a rectangular block of 16mm MDF on top of the base, attach the binding posts to that for easy access. The speaker building documentation and the Madisound kit have cables being accessed from the bottom of the speaker which makes it a bt difficult to access. I'm not sure whether 16mm would be too thick to attach binding posts to?

Thanks