insurance or gentlemen's agreement

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funcrusha76

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I need some forum advice and perspective. Yesterday a young motorist accidentally drove into the front wall of my property, damaging the brick wall, the metal palisades, and affecting two adjoining gates to the wall. The person was in a Land Rover, which sustained exactly no damage. No people were hurt.

The owner of the vehicle (not the motorist) came to inspect the damage and indicated he wants to repair it with his own people. The vehicle, he says, is uninsured. I have property insurance, and it was my first thought to get insurance to sort this out. He, however, is pushing hard to enter into a gentlemen's agreement.

This is what we have done so far:
- gone to the police station with the motorist to report the accident and received a case number
- called our builder to take a look at the damage (I am not knowledgeable about construction work)

What do you think is the best course of action? I feel iffy about the proposed gentlemen's agreement, and would only entertain it if the vehicle owner offered to pay for repairs with my builder. But ideally I would prefer insurance just to deal with it.

Latest posts