Home Lan with Switch Issue

sudyP

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Was hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm experiencing. I am unable to connect my PC to my home network but things like my TV and xbox connect fine. My setup is essentially like this:
PC, Xbox, TV <---> Unmanaged Switch <---> Managed Switch <---> Router

I'm stumped, as tried plugging another PC in as well and it doesn't work http://www.avforums.co.za/Smileys/default/sAng_banghead2.gif

Nceitil

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the PC does not connect to either the unmanaged and managed switch or only the managed switch?

Things to check...
1 - No VLANs configured on the managed switch
2 - No static IP or DNS configured on the PC
3 - DHCP scope on the router is setup correctly

I assume you have tried your PC using the port and cable of the Xbox or TV?

sudyP

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Tried both DHCP and static protocols and another PC. Seems to be a problem with the MS networking protocol or something. Xbox not registering on the network too. Going to try PC with a Linux Live USB to confirm.

[email protected]

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
sudyP said:
Thanks for the help. Tried both DHCP and static protocols and another PC. Seems to be a problem with the MS networking protocol or something. Xbox not registering on the network too. Going to try PC with a Linux Live USB to confirm.
Cannot be this difficult.  You using DHCP?  What is the scope?  how many IPs, any filtering?  Class of network?  DHCP is UDP 67/68 and a broadcast, must work.  post some detail ipconfig /all output on pc

sudyP

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, solved it. I had a loopback cable going from one port of the unmanaged switch to the other!!

Danny Boy

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there........... You have to many cables  :coffee:

sudyP

AVForums Member
Reaction score
That I do, that I do....

At least it got me a Legendary Thread on here :)