Here's the advice thread I was dreading

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drama

Reaction score
Hi Gents and Gals,

After a long and hard year, I've decided that I will be in a position to spoil myself for Christmas. Like most, if not all of you here, I love music and listening to it and am passionate about good quality tech to do so.

A (probably nice) problem I have is the following:
My brother has, by my standards, a very nice setup that I showed interest in "taking it off his hands" (read: family discount). The low level details are Denon AVR- X1200 something. Polk floor-standers (don't know the model but it has two speakers and a tweeter), centre and rear speakers and a 10 inch B&W sub. It sounds REALLY good. Lets say he is "giving" it to me at a very good price that won't hurt the pockets. I could take these but I am concerned that in the near future, I may want to upgrade and then selling and buying may cost me a lot more. I know I took a detour getting here but here is my problem: Do I take these or do I put in a little more and get something better?
With a budget of about R12k-R15k, could I get something better or is that a pipe dream? The AVR is rated at 145w. Does higher watts automatically equal more/louder sound? With that AVR, would I be able to upgrade the FS at a later stage? Would the FS need to be compatible with a 145w AVR?

It seems like a lot of noob questions, so I apologize if some of these questions seems silly but like I mentioned in my intro post, I don't know much about these things. All I want is a system where I can connect my phone via BT and listen to some music.

One last thing... I know this might generate a lot of debate and I know that asking this is akin to asking how long is a piece of string but price-wise, like for like, which is a better AVR between Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer? I list these only as that seems to be only within my budget.

Cheers!