Help needed with Sub and crossover

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapret

Reaction score
I previously only had full range speakers, and never had the need to incorporate a sub in my system.  All previous setups exclusively did stereo duty, so I never caught up with the wonders of subs in AV setups.

So I recently began listening to the Magnepan SMGa's, hooked up to a new Predator.  Beautiful little things considering they were made late 80's and I was quite surprised at the base they produce.  Not the blow your hair back kind, but enough to accommodate the bulk of my material satisfactory.

Wondered what a sub could contribute to the sound, acquired one and still need some time to play with the combination.  I pick up some distortion on higher volumes and songs that contain fairly deep base. An interesting video I saw recently https://youtu.be/uXErcOEdTuI from OCD Hi-fi guy, had an interesting work around.

Plan is to implement a high-pass filter just before the speakers to relieve them of the <80HZ duty. Very interested to see the results.

Just don't know where to start looking for fairly good quality filters. Would have been nice to play with an active filter on different frequency's, but my understanding is that actives are only used at line level. Please feel free to correct me where I go wrong.

Information on where to find suitable crossovers locally would be appreciated.

Latest posts