Grundig RT40M Stereo FM Tuner - Alignment Needed?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a lovely Grundig FM Stereo tuner which also has MW, 2 SW and an L band - silver face in a wood sleeve. I bought it together with its matching stereo SV80M integrated amplifier a few years ago.

The equipment was in a bad, flea market state and at the time, I put both pieces of gear through my usual routine of extensive cleaning inside and outside and every single (din) socket and the many controls were cleaned.

The tuner's 2 scale strings were both broken and the indicators were awol and I repaired them all, also making new indicators. Dial and power-on illumination didn't work and this was also fixed with new bulbs.

The tuner's flywheel was disintegrated and this too, was repaired by turning a new mazak wheel.

When all was clean and new again, I did the same with its integrated amp and after all the work was done, I connected both equipments to my lightbulb gadget - and found 1 stereo channel dead.

And that was when I ran out of time and packed the Grundigs away about 2 years ago.

A few days ago, I found I had a little time and had another session with the amp and tuner. I made up some new speaker leads (thanks Family_Dog, Steerpike & Croak) and found I had a din to din interconnect.

To my disappointment, there wasn't a squeak when testing the amp and tuner although both powered-up without smoke or smells of burning plastic.

Today, I brought the tuner inside from my workshop and discovered that the (first) din to din cable I had to hand, was incorrectly configured.

Since I wanted to try the tuner again using the Kenwood KA-701 amp, I made up a new din to RCA lead (this was when I discovered the lead from yesterday was incorrect).

Anyway, much to my joy, the tuner 'limbered up' and came to life, sort of.

There's no crackles, all controls are completely free of crackles, the station strength analogue meter works and so on but something is missing... :'(

I usually use my Leak Troughline II with the Kenwood integrated and have no problems with as much volume I want.

The Grundig however, requires the amp's volume control turned up way beyond midnight. I made up quite a length of antenna wire (same as used for the Leak) and the station strength meter traverses up to 85% of its scale so it is receiving OK but lacking in output volume.

It is also totally quiet on MW, L and its 2 SW bands - no sound.

Could anyone hazard a guess about all of this? I'm sure it could do with a re-alignment?? - a procedure about which I know zilch.

The tuner (and its matching integrated) now looks much too goodlooking to dump and I would very much like to give the Leak Troughline a rest for awhile.

Anyone in Cape Town up to a little troubleshootin'? I have its manual and circuit diagram...in German.

Thanks for reading

mafioso

Latest posts