Grounding/Earthing a Portable Generator & Cable Required for Permanent Installation

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I plan to have my 6.5kVa generator permanently connected to my house using a changeover switch at the distribution board. I've asked two electricians to give me a quote for the work. The first has included the installation of an earth spike on his quote because he reckons the generator needs to be grounded. The second says there's no need since the house has a TN-C-S supply which, he says, means it's earthed via the municipal supply system.

Does the generator need to be grounded via a separate earth spike or is the first electrician taking the p*ss?

Secondly, the first installer wants to charge me R1,100 for 20 metres of "4mm cable". The distance I have no trouble with but it's the price that's raising my eyebrow. The cable will be surface-mounted from the generator up to the ceiling where it'll run through the ceiling and terminate at the changeover at the DB. I've come across this 4mm cable from Leroy: Housewire black 4mm x 10m. And then there's this one: https://leroymerlin.co.za/surfix-cable-white-4mm-x-10m-81441252. Which one between the two is sufficient? If it's the former, it'll knock R800 off the one electrician's quote right away.

Latest posts