Which battery has longest life expectancy: lead acid, gel, Lithium ion?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to buy a fairly basic power backup system and would like to know which of the three types of battery will be the most cost effiecient in the long run we are having two to three blackouts per 24 hours? Am looking at something like this: 1440 W inverter plus 2x100 Ah deep cycle batteries.

Gel battery setup cost aroubd R11k, 2x200 Ah gel batts about R17k and 1800 W inverter + 2 x 100 Ah Li ion about R20k.
I only want to keep some lights, TV + decoder + DVD player, PC + Wifi router and a fridge/freezer + stand alone freezer going during blackouts.
A vendor (his price quotes above) I spoke to earlier today says that his clients using lead/acid batteries report shorter recovery times than gel units. Also: keeping discharge less than 50% per cycle will allow ±900 cycles, compared to 2000 cycles for Li ion batts, everything else the being same
If my calcs are correct 900 cycles (@ 3 outages/24 h will give a battery life of something like 600 days. Could that be right right?
Li ion batts' 2000 cycle would then last about 1300 days. Seems too good to be true, or what?
The bottom line therefore is: is a Li ion based system more cost efficient than other battery types?

Last edited:

Latest posts