Devialet upgrade rip-off?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Have had an Expert 120 for 3 years

As usual, the upgrade bug started to bite and I see on the Devialet website, they offer an upgrade service, including UPS shipping to and from Paris, for ?1990 for a moderate upgrade and ?2990 for a more powerful amp

There are several Devialet users here and I have listened to Drifters one, since we both live in Cape Town.  He has what is called the CI upgrade board

The first step is to click on the request upgrade link on the website.  Here you are invited to send an email to [email protected].  First email went off on 16th November, with 2 follow-ups.  Each time I received an auto-responder

I received a reply telling me to contact Vivid in Durban.  Their quote is R69000 for the moderate upgrade and R99000 for the more powerful version.  This is 90% more than Devialet's price.  They went on and on about duty and VAT so I said that if UPS or the carrier register the serial number with Customs prior to sending it, then there is no duty nor VAT since it is a re-import.  Never heard of that they say

It turns out that Vivid do not actually do the upgrade,  They simply ship the amps to Paris.  So if you live other than in Durban, you have to pay local shipping on top of that

I phoned Devialet on their UK number.  Not interested in the slightest and quite snooty.  Kept me on hold for 15 mins

Latest posts