Car Radio LCD faulty

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The LCD in the car radio went black the other day. (Like the TV I repaired recently)
Removed the fascia and opened it up. Both LEDs were burned out.

I modified a couple of LEDs I already had,  to fit the PCB. Had to Dremel away a bit of the diffuser and the diffuser holder to get the LED flush, so the LCD could fit on top of the holder again.

All parts were removed before any cutting etc.

Put just the PCB into the front of the car radio. Both LEDs working.

Put the LCD back on top of the holder and crimped the metal cover plate to the PCB. This plate pulls the LCD rubber contact strip down onto the copper contacts on the PCB

Except ..... about 70% of the characters are now missing on the display. The letters scroll, depending on the song being played .... but a lot of the "legs" in the characters are missing.

I then wiped the contacts with a soft cloth with contact cleaner. I "stroked" the rubber contact strip softly with the same cloth and fresh cleaner. No difference.

I removed the metal cover plate again and made sure I squeezed it and the PCB together before twisting the metal locking tabs. The rubber looks to be a good mate with the PCB. No gaps or play between the parts. In fact, the rubber is compressed slightly.

The radio  / CD / SD card play OK ... but it's like tuning a radio in the dark.

Is there hope for me on this one ?

Latest posts