Car insurance question

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hit potholes 2 weeks ago. One front tyre was badly cut on the side. I took the car to tiger wheels and they found that all 4 rims were bent and they recommended fixing the rims and replacing the damaged tyre. The tyres I have in my car are discontinued which means I’ll need to replace both front tyres to have the same make and tread in the front. I also got a quote from Mercedes Benz for replacement rims which would works out to R82k for all 4 rims vs. R6k to fix them.

I lodged an insurance claim and it was approved today for fixing all 4 rims and replacing the one damaged tyre. My understanding of what insurance does is that it should restore your state to what it was before the damage but in this case that means replacing both front tyres since the damage fact ones I have are discontinued and no longer available. Accepting the settlement as is means that I will not be restored to the original state as I will have 2 mismatched tyres in the front.

2 questions:
1. Can I insist that they replace the rims instead of repairing them and is that winnable?
2. Do I have a case of insisting that they pay for 2 tyres instead of 1 in order for me to be at the same state as I was before the accident or it won’t be a winnable case?