Burson Playmate 2 ( Short Review )

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solid_Tuna

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
So I've just received the Burson Playmate 2.

I've been using the ifi Zen Dac and SMSL SH9 so ill compare it to that set up.

Immediately I noticed the difference in the mids and highs.
The Burson is almost rolled off and a bit mid forward but relaxed, nothing stands out at you. The Arya is known to be a bit hot on top and I've used EQ to tame this a bit.
I don't think that is necessary anymore. Its very smooth sounding.

When I turned my attention to the bass I noticed it had slightly more extension in the sub region, it's fuller sounding over all and more weighty.

I'm at 50 percent volume on the Burson vs 60 on the smsl to volume match. The smsl is 3w at 32ohm an the Burson 2.5 watts at 32 ohms - yet this doesn't translate so simply. Clearly the Burson gives better power output.

When switching back to ifi smsl stack, its sound more analytical, more sparkly, but slightly more lean.

I cant tell you that I can hear a different in the resolution at this point. I prefer the Burson for the Arya. As for the Focal Elegia, if you are running stock, I don't think its a great match. The Elegia is already mid forward and while I can hear more rumble in the bass its just too mid forward with the Burson. EQ still required for the Elegia any which way.

I can see why this is a gate way into the larger Burson equipment. I think the vivid opamps will bring that sparkle back into this amp. I think that is a good upgrade from what I've read and now from what I'm hearing stock.
The Burson can do with some more sparkle.

Cant say I hear a difference in sound stage yet.

That all for now. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Latest posts