BIG TT restoration

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Agaton, Gosh it had me worried. With no manual to go by it took me while to figure out you need to remove the suspension first.
For some reason they used these bolts. They fit prefect but damn its bit woes

Had few hours so managed to take it apart and concentrate on electronics - New caps, power resistors. Test every transistor and diode. So far nothing to indicate why its dead.

Polished button shafts (Alu), and just gave them temporary spray (Gold plating maybe one day). Cleaned and reassembled.

Tomorrow or later Chassis issues, lubrication and new sponges, etc.

Thorens-Prestige-2-1.jpg

After a LOT of dust removed!

Thorens-Prestige-2-5.jpg

Thorens-Prestige-2-4.jpg

HBAutomation

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. What a stash.
There's allot going on there electronically. Hope it's not to difficult to sort out.
Subscribed.  :popcorn:

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, now to loosen some bolts....damn never knew an hex key can bend THAT far!  :nutter:

Q10 and "gentle" tapping brought release....

What a suspension system!

Thorens-3-2.jpg

Thorens-3-4.jpg

And walking in builders I found the perfect foam for the damper! It has to be soft and able to bend and compress a bit. No hard foam here

Thorens-3-1.jpg

Thorens-3-3.jpg

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thorens DONE

Rebuilt Power supply - 1 transistor shot. Managed to blow my input caps...ai, lost concentration for a moment and nearly gave Mike a hear attack when TT played for 2 min and BANG...remove power...another BANG... Immediately knew  :ROFLMAO:

With Mike's help I did a PROPER bearing/shaft/suspension do-over. My gosh its amazing smooth now.

Main bearing and platter same service.

Redid foam damper system

Recapped/Resistor etc main board and control board

Swopped and fixed switches.

And she is RUNNING!!

The next step will take much longer. Armboards for SME 3012 and 3009. Mike servicing and rebuilding the arms.

I HATE the wooden boards... just looks crap...

Any Ideas ?

1. Brass plate, 8mm, cut with laser or CNC ? I have template but not drawings. Anyone I can use that is reasonable ?
2. Polymer armboard ?
3. Nice Rosewood etc armboard ?

I just dont like the "wood" idea...

2wice

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Francois said:
Any Ideas ?

1. Brass plate, 8mm, cut with laser or CNC ? I have template but not drawings. Anyone I can use that is reasonable ?
2. Polymer armboard ?
3. Nice Rosewood etc armboard ?

I just dont like the "wood" idea...

If you buy the tooling, I'll do the drawing and CNC for you for free in what ever material you can think of, POM-C is a good material with suitable damping. My current project is coming to an end (after nearly 7 years), so will have more time for some other projects.

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a deal!, Can I then send you the two wooden boards ? Screws etc ?

WOW, cant say no to this :)

I would RECOMMEND! Sell overseas. A composite board is R4000 from eBay, wood even more.  :facepalm:

2wice

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Francois said:
Its a deal!, Can I then send you the two wooden boards ? Screws etc ?

Sure, no problem. I might be in the area to collect in the coming weeks if you want.

Francois said:
I would RECOMMEND! Sell overseas. A composite board is R4000 from eBay, wood even more.  :facepalm:

That sounds like work  :tongue:

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,
The shafts we very dry, blocked and bit corroded.
Got some good degreasing fluid, and started with cloth and pip cleaner brush. Took about a day to dissolve as much as possible.
Mike then used 1200 grit sandpaper and water and slowly turned the shafts. Dont go in linear(up/down) motion.
The ballbearings were luckily good. Their seating at bottom of shafts took a while, very dirty.
The suspension ones I greased and its super nice, traps air well, only one slightly loose
The main bearing is working very well
I also very softly sanded the shafts, VERY carefully.