B&W DM603 S2 Tweeter Help

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCS

Reaction score
I am new to all this so excuse me if this is a stupid question (I have tried searching online though cant find a definitive answer anywhere)... I have a pair of second hand B&W DM603 S2 floorstanding speakers of which the tweeters have been pushed in on both the left and right speakers. One of the speakers still sounds fine though the tweeter on the other speaker sounds really sick and almost nonexistent.

I came across quite a few places that said if there is a brown liquid leaking from the tweeter I would need to replace the whole tweeter instead of just replacing the diaphragm. So I have opened the speaker up to examine the sick tweeter and there is a slight tiny bead of brown liquid in the ridge of the magnet where the diaphragm slots in. The brown liquid is definitely not 'leaking' out though it is just barely visible plus there is a tiny amount that has rubbed off onto the edges of the diaphragm that slots in the magnet. I hope this makes sense...   ???

Is this normal or is this the leaking they are talking about?

I also noticed one of the tiny wires on the diaphragm is bent quite badly and looks stressed (almost close to snapping) so was wandering if this would affect the tweeter? I am just scared I replace the diaphragm only to find out its the magnet thing that is broken/blown...

I also got prices to have the diaphragm replaced, though the labour charges they quoted me is almost the same price as the new diaphragm (R450). Does anyone know if replacing the diaphragm is as easy as taking the tweeter apart like I have already but than rather inserting the new diaphragm instead of the old one?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  ;D

EDIT... Would just like add that there is a tiny crack in the metal on the diaphragm where it has been pushed out before.