Arcam AVR Repair log

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS4

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Prologue:

Some may remember: a few weeks ago I listed my Arcam AVR400 for sale as the HDMI output was most likely hit by lightning/power surge and therefore not working. I could confidently say that the inputs were fine, as I was still getting audio. However, the projector was displaying nothing.

Anyway, I had a horrendous experience with ILED (new Arcam distributors) who told me that they wont sell me a new HDMI board without seeing my amplifier first. This truly infuriated me! Its like being told that you can't buy new car tires without your existing tires being checked first??? I know that I can fit a new HDMI board in minutes.

I fortunately ran into Arcam at ISE Amsterdam in Feb thereafter, where I got the details of their service manager in the UK. They were glad to help, the price of a new board would cost approx. 250 pounds, approx R5000 at the time excluding shipping, duties and VAT.

I've also seen the AVR400 rarely sell 2nd hand here, averaging R10000. I decided to hold out for a 2nd hand amp. Oppos have 2x HDMI outputs, I connected one directly to the projector and 1 to the amp.

I found a 2nd hand amplifier in Durbs, which is now connected up and working fine....

So I started considering a home repair job on the HDMI board of the broken amp. I stripped the Amplifier and removed the board.

Although the picture isnt clear, that IC is responsible for the HDMI output. The mission of finding a new IC begins. Locally, I couldn't find anywhere that had. I found overseas.

Price per IC, $5
I ordered 2. $10 total, $35 for shipping. Total cost R600 or so.

IC's arrived

Then came the technical part of carefully removing the old IC without damaging any of the pins on the board.
There was a small hiccup, but it came off OK.

Then came the part of soldering the new IC on the board, with all these pins its a very stressful job. It went successfully.

That was just after soldering with the flux not yet being cleaned off.

Next part: assembly. Putting the amp back together took no time at all. Then came the testing.

SUCCESS!! HDMI output is working perfectly. Total repair price: R600 or so. Avoided the useless agents, and I can't see a reason this can't be done more often.

Latest posts