Anyone used Tonebusters Isone HRTF software?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Ran into this on Head-fi ... sounds like something that can turn any recording into a binaural one ...  See http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

I want to bring to Jude's attention something that I'm using on the computer that I like even better than any advanced crossfeed, and that is Tonebooster's TB Isone (previously called Isone Pro). It is a very reasonably priced audio plugin that utilizes advanced HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) algorithm and creates the most realistic sounding virtual speakers in a room emulation I have ever heard. There's already a thread about it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Crossfeeds is quite primitive in comparison to HRTF algorithm, because it's essentially just bleeding the two channels into each other and at most you get to control the amount of the bleed. HRTF, on the other hand, actually does advanced calculations of your head and ear size in relation to the speakers, and how the sound waves should interact with your head and ears, and the result sounds just like speakers coming from IN FRONT of you. The illusion is so real that if you never tried it before, you might think you left your speakers on and you're listening to the speakers instead of your headphones (assuming you are sitting in front of your speakers at the time).

Isone also allows you to control how far the speakers are from you, the speaker angle, the head and ear sizes, the room size, and there are speaker presets that emulations from perfectly flat ideal speakers, professional monitoring setup, boombox,  laptop speakers, to flat panel TV speakers. You can even change the tweeter size! There are also room presets for near, mid, to far-field studio setups, small, medium, to large studios, tiny room, very large room, to anechoic chamber.

Personally, I think no crossfeed on the planet can compete against advanced HRTF algorithm, because it's just too primitive. And since it's so reasonably priced, it's also extremely good in terms of value. There are hardware surround sound units that employ advanced HRTF algorithm, but the really good ones cost thousands of dollars. I have never heard them, but I would assume they sound just as good if not better than Isone. If someone owns such a unit, I'd love to see a comparison between it and Isone.

For those of you that don't know how to use audio plugins, you basically need a host for the plugins. All computer musicians have this readily available in the music production software they use, but they are not practical when you want to listen to your entire music collection with plugins. For me personally, I use J River Media Center, which has native VST plugin hosting built-in, and is very easy to use. It's also an incredible overall media librarian/player--highly recommended. J River Media Center + Isone = headphone nirvana.

Other media players can use VST wrappers, but they tend to be cumbersome and you cannot chain multiple plugins together easily like you could in Media Center.

Anyway, I've been telling everybody about Isone ever since I discovered it, and it's simply because I think it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in the history of my headphone journey (and also because it costs almost nothing but is so incredible in performance vs. value)

Anyone using this?

Latest posts