Any suggestions on a 'broken' Yamaha AVR

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmzoo

Reaction score
Guys
Below the statement of the technician who had a look at my Yamaha AVR:
Upon further inspection it was determined that the HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is faulty due to the circuit having experienced a severe over voltage consistent with that of a power surge.
Considering the extent of damage and furthermore the unavailability of parts for this specific model, this Yamaha RX-V 367 Receiver has been deemed uneconomical to repair.
We are not able to provide a quotation on parts required for this specific model as they are not available.

The question is what to do and I will appreciate any suggestion as the AVR will most probably end up gathering dust in the garage?
There is a bit of a tail to this story as  I was called by the technician to say the unit was fixed and he checked it was working himself, just to do the same thing when switching it on at home (just cuts out, I know, should have checked it there and then). The AVR started giving issues by switching off as I switch on DSTV but if left on without any input (to "warm-up" in my mind) it worked fine but got progressively worse over time until it will just switch off immediately.
I know from googling that if the HDMI card goes its goodbye AVR but this did not seem like an HDMI issue (in my totally uninformed opinion).

So, do I get a second opinion from a repairer or sell it off as scrap / parts or is its future the top shelf in the garage?

Regards
Pieter

Latest posts