Advice : Stereo amp and speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipodmusicman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I would like to get myself a stereo amp and speakers.  Reason is that everytime I want music outside when we have friends over and entertain, I have to lag one of my Mission speakers from my home entertainment system outside and extend the cable in doing so.

I would rather prefer to set up a seporate amp and speakers outside when we do entertain and connect my iPod, etc to this so that I have my music outside and I can use my entertainment system to watch sport or play PlayStation while the music is outside.

My first throught is to go second-hand since buying brand new is going to proove difficult since stereo amps that don't cost the earth aren't that readily available as they used to be, not to mention speakers.

I'll mainly be using this setup when entertaining outside, but eventually once I have built my braairoom, I'll mount the speakers on the wall.

Do you perhaps have any advice and what I should look for when choosing a second-hand amp and speakers?  

I would imagine that going with brands like NAD (3020I comes to mind) is a step in the right direction ... I know that stereo amps have become quite sort after and the price you pay for these aren't low and the last thing I want is to buy something that I'll regret later on due to me not being happy with the amp / speaker pair not producing good sound quality and so forth.

Around 11 years ago, I owned a Yamaha stereo amp, and although the sound was out of this world, it could not handle a few hours of constant playback at a higher volume and would cut out - I don't want this to happen here.  I want to be able to crank it up without distortion too.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks very much.