ABSA sucks (and rocks at the same time), any suggestions for a better bank?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolla

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all, as I'm writing this, I'm livid and ready to close my ABSA accounts.

I've been a good ABSA (Volkskas Bank originally) account holder since the early '70s. They've always had my main business, etc. but service has decline over time to the point which I'm genuinely at the end of my tether.

Long story short: Call center only - 1st agent did not have a clue - 2nd agent sounded like they may have a clue, yet cut off the call just as she was 'going to help me'.
Called my branch in Vredenburg: They are not allowed to help me and have to put me through to the call center.
Branch transferred me back to the call center. Was prompted by the ABSA robot to put in my bank account number and then the 3rd and 5th digit of my pin to verify.
... entered the correct digits and on the third time it stated that my PIN has now been locked and that I have to go to a branch to select a new PIN - WTF!!!!!!
Eventually got to speak to another agent and demanded to speak to someone senior. "Supervisor is in a meeting, but he will call me right back". Yeah right - still waiting.

This is unfortunately the level of service that I've been getting from ABSA over the past few years. Every time I think "let me just get through this matter and then I don't have to deal with any of this again", yet here I am once more.

Back in the '80s my bank manager (a Mr Stephens) used to see me personally, this when I had nothing and was asking for regular help to get a start in life. His door was always open and made sure I was happy wherever possible and in my best interest. His guidance was always welcome and he always made time listen and help.

Now that we are financially independent, service is nowhere to be seen anywhere close to ABSA.

So, any of you good people have any good suggestions as to a Bank that really cares and wants and appreciates one's business?

Last edited: