6 subs - I'm not normal

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
I got a set of D6000 base units cheap , R2500 , immaculate condition , all drivers good , but the DSP boards were fried and the analog side needed attention .. these units normally have a head with a mid and treble driver on them .. but they are MIA..the bass units are big sealed boxes with 4 x 8" long throw woofers and handle bass from 180hz down and roll of at around 25hz - they use 2 x 100w amps , each amp driving 2 woofers.

Anyway the repair guy said the bass amps were ok and so was the mid/treble amps. Power supply needed a bit of attention
Initially I thought I could use an amp for each of the 4 drivers , but evidently the mid/treble amps are not suitable , so I have just wired the bass units the same way they should be.

All I have done extra is put an RCA plug and a volume control on the back panels before the amps , so they are now "active" with level controls.

Cost for that via the repair guy is around R1200 .
So in essence 2 x 200w active Meridian subs will end up costing me under R4000... not too shabby....

I intend to daisy chain them off my Twin  SVS SB13 ultra subs (which have a pass thru) and now use 4 subs instead of just 2

The signal to my subs is analog out of the Meridian processor I use to control the sub output (a 568.2) so the fettled Meridian bass units will see the same xover , bandpass , phase and levels as the 2 SVS ones do.
The antimode will make everything "right"

I'm pretty keen to hear the effects of this..

Just to prove I'm maybe not quite right in the head , I ALSO intend to daisy chain my DSP5500's digital active speakers ,which at the moment are unused , off my DSP 6000's , BUT use a DSP parametric with shelves etc to low pass them at about 120 hz - the DSP 5500's have 2 8" woofers with 100w amp per woofer , roll off is around 28hz - IE they will only act as subs....and I can use parametric filters to "tune" them
I could pf course just disconnect the tweeters and mids ...not sure whether that would be better than the DSP filtering?

So essentially I will have 6 subs.. the advantage of more subs is actually a better and more even room response in the bass and it's easy to position them to take out nulls and such like - or just shake the house off it's foundation

There are 20 x 8" woofers - with 1.2kw of amp power and 2 x 13.5" woofers with 2kw amp power.....

Once again , the Antimode , which is used prior to the 568.2 should sort out any peaks and make it all good....

I think my biggest issue will be to track down buzzes an rattles in my room and fix em...

I love fiddling and twiddling with my gear (I also love music and listen about 4 hours a day), this should keep me out of trouble for a few weeks.. :)

Bass units (I dont have the heads)
D6K%20rear.jpg

DSP5500's

DSP-5500BK-2.jpg