5.1 Surround on Youtube

Eish

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read about this - Today, a video triggered the surround on my AVR.  Looks like you can now post surround sound, although there doesn't seem to be any way to identify what and what isn't.  This particular example is, indeed 5.1.  At least it is for me using Chromecast With Google TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElbcJnY5-4

Makes me wonder where Goog is taking Youtube and whether we will be seeing lossless music streaming sometime in the future.

I must also add - It appears Youtube also auto - switches between HDR and SDR as well. 

jlaubza

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reference. I checked your link on Friday and it played in 5.1. But on Saturday, it refused to go beyond stereo (on the free version of YT). Various net references suggest that YouTube was going to allow 5.1 videos starting in 2021 but i have not been able to find any since Friday.

Dreamerm6

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Would be great if YOUTUBE finally has some 5.1 abilities.. They have been saying that they were going to do it for a looooong time, but still have not found any DD or DTS or any 5.1 source material there yet. :(

Veedub

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I noticed an update on my Nvidia Shield Pro, which states that 5.1 is now available for YouTube