110v to 12v power transformer - impossible to order

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars67

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hallo fellow Forumites.
I have run into an interesting challenge. Friends of mine have a 110v magnetic stirrer that he accidentally plugged into 220v. It has a small 110v to 12v 50Hz power transformer. The primary is connected directly to ac and has burned. The only function is to drive a small 5v motor. They state it is a 10w stirrer. So about 2 Amp current draw. I think they are overstating as it hardly draws any current when running on my bench ps.

Now for the challenge. I think search engines have become too clever. All my searches invariably lead me to 220v transformers. I cannot even find 110v transformers on mouser or digikey. The only options are 220v. Even if I change to the us sites. Aliexpress and ebay also won’t sell me 110v transformers!! Perhaps I have lost my ability to “google”.

How do I order one?

I considered converting the device to 220v but it has a heater element running off ac and the 110v element will not be able to take 220v. At least not for long according to my somewhat limited understanding. The small pc board is actually silk screened indicating 220v input.

Easiest would probably be to get a 110v transformer. If the Interweb will let me!

Latest posts