Loadshedding system advide needed please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all
I live in Bloemfontein. Our load shedding schedule for now is 2 to 3 hours whenever there is load shedding. So I finally got fed up with it especially when we get home from work and we don't have lights. As I understand fridges and freezers if you are careful can go for many hours. Geyser has a 150 liter reservoir of hot water and the stove has gas hobs.
For the children to do their homework and for us to do our daily tasks when coming home from work I am tired of walking around with candles or flashlights of some sort.
So I started to try cheaply to look for a solution to at least just give power to the house lights. This consist of 5w LED light bulbs and a max of 12 will be on at the same time.
I was thinking of UPS with a big car battery but soon discovered though research this will not work. So some more research it seems I must look at inverter and proper batteries.
Who can maybe assist me or who can I contact for advice. A 6000w generator I saw now goes for +- R10 000 to R12 000 and I found through research is not good as they are not pure sine wave. So my first option is inverter with batteries that will be strong enough to power the lights. Please bear in mind I don't want to pay too much and the stuff I find here in Bloemfontein everyone is trying to downplay the competition's brands. So I have no idea who to trust anymore.
One inverter is "made in china, designed in Germany" WTF that ever  means. The other one is made in India. So no idea what to believe anymore.

Latest posts