Telefunken TR-100 portable radio

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
I was given this radio as a present end-of-last year.  Apart from an obvious cheap execution, some of them come with a hidden malady:  It is fitted with a 115VAC mains supply instead of the required 230V option for RSA!

It appears to have been assembled locally by Nu-World Enterprises from parts supplied of an unknown  Chinese origin. The reason for mentioning it here is to caution regarding a fire hazard. The inside little 115VAC transformer lasts under 230V conditions but quickly gets up to some 80+ degrees in an unventilated situation. Internal battery supply is 3V, while the a.c supplied voltage is some 6,7V.d.c.! The design appears to be modern using the new generation of phase-lock I.C.s - no problems there.  (Also performs as expected when powered by 115 V.A.C.)

One wonders whether any 230V.A.C. models ever saw light of day; so much for the distributors Nu-World Enterprises' quality control or even electronics' savvy! So obviously inexpensive - but totally unacceptable under local conditions, let alone in the hands of youngsters. Yet again the use of a well-known electronic brand name to sell rubbish under . . . .

I am not sure whether all units contain this danger; evidence is easily noticed by a quick-to-appear hot spot on the top left corner of the plastic cabinet  (the little power transformer).

One notices that there are several other brands in the market place in this price range. A comparison with other brands would be interesting but not important in this price range.