Author Topic: Maverick Android TV Box  (Read 1656 times)

Offline jvr

Maverick Android TV Box
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:10:36 PM »
Apparently this is a locally designed and manufactured Android TV/media box with specs that look to be on par and maybe even better than some of the others, e.g. Ematic, etc. Anyone has some personal experience of this product?
Lend me your ears

Offline rodga

Re: Maverick Android TV Box
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:26:48 PM »
If it's not google/Netflix/dstv certified, I'll pass.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline jvr

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 06:53:03 AM »
That it is: https://mediabox.co.za/product/maverick/. It is apparently Dstv Now-enabled.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:55:38 AM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 08:39:23 PM »

Certainly seems to tick all the boxes! May be a contender/replacement for the Ematic,   :thumbs:
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »
Certainly seems to tick all the boxes! May be a contender/replacement for the Ematic,   :thumbs:
On a good day the Ematic goes for about R1200 or R200 less same as MiBox and these 2 just works! I can see the appeal for new buyers but other than than if you already own an Ematic or MiBox its really just comparing apples with the same apples, give or take an ethernet port, unless you going Nvidia Shield :2thumbs:

Offline jvr

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »
^ I agree. These are closely matched, also in price - the actual going rate is very much the same among these 3.

I was just trying to find out if there are any actual owners who might give feedback. For me a separate digital output is important, that MiBox does not have, plus SD card slot for the rest of my digital media.
Lend me your ears

Offline Pots

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »

^ For me a separate digital output is important, that MiBox does not have, plus SD card slot for the rest of my digital media.

The MiBox does have a digital output, uses the mini toslink.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline resham

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 08:39:33 PM »
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Offline jvr

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 08:45:45 AM »
I have since got myself the Maverick. No SD card slot though, just two USB slots. So far so good.

One question directed at anybody who also uses Deezer via the Android TV app. It does not indicicate that it plays/streams hi-fi quality and there does not appear to be any settings. Is it indeed able to play hi-fi quality?
Lend me your ears

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »
I have since got myself the Maverick. No SD card slot though, just two USB slots. So far so good.

One question directed at anybody who also uses Deezer via the Android TV app. It does not indicicate that it plays/streams hi-fi quality and there does not appear to be any settings. Is it indeed able to play hi-fi quality?
No sir... Andriod only goes up to 48khz

Offline jvr

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
^ But flac / Deezer only requires 16/44.1.
Lend me your ears

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
^ But flac / Deezer only requires 16/44.1.
LOL! had Tidal on my mind... :giggle:

Offline msch997

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »
Does the Maverick media Box support Dolby Vision at this stage ie when streaming 4K HDR content via Netflix?  I do not believe it does.

if it supports the amazon prime app, does it support 4K and HDR10+?

Just asking as for around R 1,500 you can get the new Google Chromecast with Google TV locally that seems to support 4K all flavours of HDR (HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) and runs on the latest Android google TV operating system.

Google Chromecast with Google TV is available from GeeWiz locally (its a grey import I am sure so I doubt local warranty, but I have had a Chromecast Ultra since 2016 and its still in use).

I ask as I am sure this media Box was a special offer from my internet ISP (Cool Ideas) a few months back and I posted the above questions on the Maverick support page on the Maverick vendor web site and still waiting for a reply or acknowledgement from them that they received or actually even viewed my question.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:45:31 AM by msch997 »

Offline jvr

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 12:04:42 PM »
According to its specifications it only has HDR10 (HLG, TCH Prime) and 4Kp60 10b H.265 (and H.264). But, it runs on the latest Android and it has Chromecast built-in. It has a better CPU than both MiBox and Ematic.

I don't have these new functions that you are after on my UHD4K TV and I don't plan to upgrade my screen anytime soon, so these were not that important to me.
Lend me your ears

Offline msch997

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 11:34:27 PM »
According to its specifications it only has HDR10 (HLG, TCH Prime) and 4Kp60 10b H.265 (and H.264). But, it runs on the latest Android and it has Chromecast built-in. It has a better CPU than both MiBox and Ematic.

I don't have these new functions that you are after on my UHD4K TV and I don't plan to upgrade my screen anytime soon, so these were not that important to me.

Understood