Author Topic: Conrad-Johnson Premier Three pre-amp  (Read 963 times)

Online MusicMan_ZA

Re: Conrad-Johnson Premier Three pre-amp
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »
It is not for me to spoil another person's fun but it is in my ethos to warn so here goes:

Thanks Johan, I appreciate the information. I think it is always better to "know" than to be in the dark :-)

I am definitely going to get this checked out by someone with the necessary skill.

If I may ask: whatever happened to yours, in the end? Was it "written off", or is it still happily playing somewhere?

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online charles

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
A while back I restored a vintage CJ PV 2  pre-amplifier.

As I switched it on something happened more or less similar that happened to Agaton Sax's one.

It was coupled to a CJ power amplifier. A very loud and high pitched sound in the loudspeakers. Luckily I could immediate switch it off before it could  probably damage the power amplifier.

Faults:

Had to open and repair a faulty balance faulty potentiometer. One must be careful when doing this.
Replace a intermittent on/off switch.
Test all the valves with an AVO valve tester. Most of it were replaced. 
During this operation the set was also intermitted regarding its output.
Interesting, when testing the Insulation (heater/cathode) cold/hot of the valves, some
of the valves some had some "insulation" problems.

One must take care when switching on any vintage valve product.

Online MusicMan_ZA

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks Charles - more valuable information!

Cheers,
Johan
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...