Author Topic: Buying/importing a DAC from overseas  (Read 931 times)

Offline sajunky

Re: Buying/importing a DAC from overseas
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
I've found another online option, buying directly from Europe... and the price works out a few thousand cheaper: https://www.musicstore.com/en_ZA/ZAR/RME-ADI-2-DAC-FS/art-REC0013545-000
Not saving:

1. PayPal only (extra cost)
2. Standard SAPO path (add cost of insurance and looong time delivery)
3. No final shipping cost given:
As a rule, we charge a delivery fee of € 50.00 for shipping, which can only be determined after ordering. If the actual freight costs are too high, we may have to charge you an additional fee.
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 08:36:04 PM »
Rather buy from Thomann if you want to import directly from Europe.
Amazon had the RME DAC in stock for quite some time that does ship to South Africa, its only very recently that it has been out of stock, so give it a bit of time and it should be back for ordering again. Would be my preferred route in terms of ease of use. The DAC uses an external power brick so it is 115V and 230V compatible so doesn't matter where you buy it from. On Amazon it has been hovering around R17,5k plus R3k for taxes and shipping.

Offline Katji

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »
If you're going to import by yourself, rather then look for a 2nd hand unit and insist on proper courier (DHL, Fedex, etc.). If not available, use Aramex.
NB:  DHL Express goes to postal service /iow SAPO. Deutsche Bundespost outsourced/privatised its international service to DHL long time ago. You would find that SAPO tracking service covers DHL.
(Unless maybe there is an option like "DHL Express Global Premium" or something.)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:16 PM »
NB:  DHL Express goes to postal service /iow SAPO. Deutsche Bundespost outsourced/privatised its international service to DHL long time ago. You would find that SAPO tracking service covers DHL.
(Unless maybe there is an option like "DHL Express Global Premium" or something.)

DHL welt pakket and DHL welt pakket premium are postal.  DHL Express is private courier. 

The reason many like using Dhl pakket is not just cost.  It also simplifies export formalities and VAT liability.  Once handed to post office its considered exported.  No VAT liability for vendor.  Using a private owned freight or courier co the actual proof of export is only available later once the export entry is done.  Without that the vendor is liable to pay vat on the sale. 
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline mr_b

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »
Rather buy from Thomann if you want to import directly from Europe.

Thanks Kamikazi... this is a great option! The shipping agent comes up as UPS Express... they appear to have a local Cape Town depot/presence so that should guarantee that it doesn't land up with SAPO at least!
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • ... never finishing projects
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »
Have a look at Thomann.  Excellent customer service!  I believe it's also the version you're looking for.

https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_adi_2_dac_fs.htm

EDIT: I see kamikazi also posted the same.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:24:23 PM by Zilch »
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there", and "they're", then your an idiot.