Soekris DAC2541

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodEnoughGear

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
As you may know this has been released by Soren:

http://www.soekris.dk/dac2541.html

It replaces their DAC1541 with a few major differences:
  • It drops from fully differential quad ladder at 27-bit resolution to dual ladder, at 28-bit resolution with balanced output produced by a TI opa1656
  • There is a dedicated headamp circuit also with opa1656 and discrete high bias diamond buffer
  • The FPGA changes to Lattice LFE5U-45, filters are currently the same but Soren will add more taps later
  • The USB1/2 switch is gone, runs in USB2 mode only now
  • There is a self calibration process allowing for improved THD and the ability to use less precise resistors

Purr1n at SBAF seems taken with it as a DAC:
"After a day of warm-up, the DAC2541 is ungodly good. Those who want an oversampling DAC with a modicum of inherent warmth, but no outright warmpoo; an honest, but smooth and not-in-your-face top-end; and microdynamics and PRaT that grabs your very soul by the balls, then this is it. I had some idea of how this DAC may have sounded like given my experience with Soekris' prior generation of DACs, but my expectations have been exceeded."

The headamp as with DAC1541 is reported to be bland but serviceable.

I have one incoming and will compare it with my DAC1541.

dac2541_front_1200.jpg

dac2541_open_1200.jpg