Author Topic: I can't keep it in any longer!  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Curlycat

I can't keep it in any longer!
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »
If you know what I know, you would get a set of Bentley FR100 bookshelf speakers.

I wanted to wait until I have spent more time with my set, but I cannot contain myself anymore. I have had many speakers, large and small, but these make me feel compelled to get the word out. They are fabulous speakers! I am sure a legend in the making. I am used to listening to a big pair of open baffles with 2 x 12" and 1 x 15" per side.

These Bentley FR100's are amazing! The soundstage is HUGE. Let me say again, HUGE. Imaging is pinpoint and very good. Bass, I am sure there is a sub hiding inside there somewhere. The mids are warm, lifelike and inviting. Vocals come to life like I have not heard in any other bookshelf speaker before, come to mind, not many speakers actually. In my setup, the highs are slightly bright. This blends stunningly with the warm mids and amazing bass to give you a bookshelf speaker that is awesome.

@GECO Hats off to you sir, you have designed a beaut!
@Dreamerm6  Hats off to you sir, you brought a gem to the SA market!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:04:23 PM by Curlycat »
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Dreamerm6

Re: I can't keep it in any longer!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 08:33:20 PM »
Glad you're loving them Curlycat! My pleasure bringing them to the South African market! High time we had something affordable AND GOOD!
Sen some pics!! And welcome to the Bentley family!!

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 08:46:35 PM »
Thank you Dreamerm6. I actually can't wait to get home at the end of the day to listen to them. Of course, Eskom has their own ideas... I find myself listening until I have to force myself to go to bed. My listening habits have not been like this for a very long time.

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Online stereosane

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
Are you listening with grills on or off?

I find them brighter with grills on, with them off it sounds more balanced.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 08:51:50 PM »
Grills off. I have not tried them with grills on.

Offline GECO

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
Glad you like them. My other favourite is the FS120.

If you get the opportunity listen to the FR200

Offline fredeb

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »
Fantastic review Curlycat ! You've now made me super-curious .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »

That 200 is something special, looks as good as it sounds.
I was fortunate enough to have a listen to a demo pair you guys had lent out.
From the pictures Vaughn showed me, I think white is going to the favourite colour.
You've done a superb job on those...
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 03:43:30 AM »
We are slowly converting the world one at a time :dop:

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
We are slowly converting the world one at a time :dop:
I still yet to come for that demo

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
I still yet to come for that demo

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Anytime bud.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 06:41:38 PM »

@GECO I will keep my eyes peeled for the FS120 & FR200 and I will deffo grab the opportunity when it arises. Though I can't say I will be in a hurry, because I am blissfully enjoying the 100's.

Any advice on what type of stand design would be good for the FR100? https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,83777.0.html

Fantastic review Curlycat ! You've now made me super-curious .

Thank you @fredeb  Just get a set. How many second-hand sets have you seen advertised? Makes you think  ;)

Offline fredeb

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
My neighbor still uses and swears by his 10 yo Logitech Z2300 2.1 system . I convinced him to take a Black Friday special pair of FR50's from Morne to replace the satellites on the old Logitech system .

Logitech Z2300 specs from here : https://hometheaterreview.com/logitech-z-2300-21-desktop-speaker-system-reviewed/

Z-2300 provides 200 watts of total RMS Power, 80 watts RMS (2 x 40 Watts) into eight ohms at one kHz at 10 percent THD (total harmonic distortion) for the satellites and 120 watts RMS into eight ohms at 100Hz at 10 percent THD (total harmonic distortion) for the subwoofer ( of course the system is used no-where near this max rating with the ridiculous 10% THD ) .

I made up some speaker cables with RCA's at the sub end for him , and plugged them in on Monday evening . What amazing sound for almost "no money" .  There was now a depth and presence and much higher definition to the sound , and entirely non-fatiguing .  Incredible upgrade - I can imagine that the FR50 with a good sealed sub would kick some serious ass .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 04:34:38 AM »
My neighbor still uses and swears by his 10 yo Logitech Z2300 2.1 system . I convinced him to take a Black Friday special pair of FR50's from Morne to replace the satellites on the old Logitech system .

Logitech Z2300 specs from here : https://hometheaterreview.com/logitech-z-2300-21-desktop-speaker-system-reviewed/

Z-2300 provides 200 watts of total RMS Power, 80 watts RMS (2 x 40 Watts) into eight ohms at one kHz at 10 percent THD (total harmonic distortion) for the satellites and 120 watts RMS into eight ohms at 100Hz at 10 percent THD (total harmonic distortion) for the subwoofer ( of course the system is used no-where near this max rating with the ridiculous 10% THD ) .

I made up some speaker cables with RCA's at the sub end for him , and plugged them in on Monday evening . What amazing sound for almost "no money" .  There was now a depth and presence and much higher definition to the sound , and entirely non-fatiguing .  Incredible upgrade - I can imagine that the FR50 with a good sealed sub would kick some serious ass .

Glad you are happy. I love the fr50 also.

Online stereosane

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »
So what's the trade secret on the Bass, the amount of bass and the quality of bass is incredible, normally there's a noticeable sound to small speakers that try do big bass, they either have a mid bass bump that's clear to hear or the bass drowns out the midrange, but on the Fr100 it's so balanced and still so powerful.

My favorite test track for Bass is James Blake - Limit To Your Love. This track will show up a speakers bass defiencies pretty fast and will make your ports chuff like hell if they designed cheaply, but on the Fr100 it just doesn't give in, only speakers I've heard  that could do that well on this track was the Dynaudio 2/7 and my Liuto towers.

Damn impressive  :clap: