Some sound for my workshop

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygoggie

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I was getting a bit tired of the silence in my workshop that doubles up as my garage.

So ... I made myself a deal, I will install some sound on a budget of less than R1000 using everything I have.

So here it is. Sounding excellent I must say. I am very hesitant to say it sounds better than my dedicated system ...

IMG-20190831-165545.jpg

IMG-20191017-125621.jpg

Speakers - Old cases I built many moons back for a community center we were involved in. The woofers were kept. Tweeters are from old Nokia truck hands-free kit, mids I bought from a forumite at a good price. Acoustic damping inside is mohair wool waste from my brother-in-laws weavery. Cross-over was from a two way system project that never materialised. I did a thread somewhere here where I asked how to convert it to a three-way. In the end I just sat down one evening and soldered caps in until I got to a well defined frequency split between mid and tweeter.  Cloth frame I hand made from scrap wood and cloth is T-shirting (as from another thread here) tensioned over the felt covered wooden frame. It fits with pressure into the cabinet lips.

IMG-20190831-165635.jpg

Radio - Bought this from [member=15708]JohnnyIC[/member] and it has excellent reception.

Amp - Was chucked out by my brother. I cleaned the slides, resoldered some dry joints and that was that. Works great!

IMG-20190831-165610.jpg

Antenna - I read up on J-pole FM antennas and decided to give the P2000 trunking and down pipes a go as an antenna. Excellent signal received!

All in all, I made my budget and the system cost me about R700. Now for a garage party!  :groovy: :dop:

Latest posts