The value of a warranty... please be careful.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy@Rtec

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a client walk into my shop yesterday.? told me he bought a new amp from "another dealer".  He thought there may have been something wrong and he wanted me to test it.

Sure I said, but when did you buy it?  "oh, it's the new model, so pretty new ? just over six months, but it only holds a 6 month warranty" :???:. 

A Denon? New? Really? no, no, no... That holds a 2 year warranty! Oh and by the way..  that model is 3 years old!

To the point.

Please guys? buy from authorised dealers? ANY AUTHORISED DEALER, if you have any need for a manufacturer's warranty.

For ANY products. Not just Audio.

We've had it more than once where clients bought from unscrupulous resellers posing as authorised dealers and were left with no recourse/support. Even ONLINE? RIGHT NOW some shops are selling certain brands where they are not supposed to. 

Unauthorised sellers are NOT supported by the importers- EVER.  They can NOT provide you with a factory warranty.

That said, it must also be noted that it is not irregular for custom installers or smaller dealers to broker deals with larger dealers, where they may not be the authorised dealer.  BUT when doing so they may/will have the means to buy from an authorised dealer (usually at a reduced rate or with commissions) but are NOT ALLOWED to advertise publically in print or online any product list, prices or the brand in general as by doing so they will  imply that THEY are the authorised dealer.  This is to protect the IP of the brand and hopefully protect you as consumer against unscrupulous merchants. When coming across this, feel free to ask dealers who holds the warrantee and ask for a relating invoice or documentation if you need (they should be able to give you this) as this will indicated the inception date of your warranty (which may not coincide with the install date) and maybe allow you direct access to the service centre or give you the privilege of registering extended warranties and the like.

Effectively only authorised dealers are allowed to promote the brand publically. Sadly there may still be a few unauthorised ones doing the rounds, so always make sure ? you can ask the importers themselves to verify.

PS: And if you do have a legitimate warranty claim, do other authorised dealers the courtesy of taking it back to the dealer you bought it from; directly to the importers (if allowed); or expect to pay a handling fee to any dealer willing to administer it for you, as THERE ARE COSTS INVOLVED ? courier fees, packaging, time etc.

Dealers are independent, so unless you have good a relationship with a certain dealer, any dealer will likely feel insulted when expected to do the after sales service AND absorb cost for another competing dealer who has already gained financially ito such item.

Have a LOVELY Saturday.

Mod Edit - Changed scrupulous to unscrupulous  :cool: