Introduction - Fuzz (and a few questions)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi AVF,

Didn?t know such a platform existed in SA after spending quite some time trawling the UK version of this site. I hope that I learn a lot and possibly be of assistance some time in the future.

A bit of background - I would not consider myself a bonafide audiophile by any means, just someone interested in above average sound, so I?m guessing this is the place to be.

Reason for me joining:

My trusty ol? B&W Zeppelin Air died on me over the weekend, hence I have a few questions relating to it.

The Zeppelin Air was driving my lounge TV set sound. It serviced my needs adequately but I figured that since it?s dead, I might as well replace it with something better, that sounds good for the needs that I have which is watching sport, music, series and the occasional movie.

My (limited) research tells me that I should go the AV Receiver, floor standing speaker and sub route. I don?t have the desire to go the 5.1 / 7.1 route, but I would like the option to expand if I ever need to.

My questions:

1. I?ve pinpointed the Marantz NR1509 AV receiver as a good start. Am I off the mark here? What?s a suitable receiver circa the R6,000.00 bracket (even cheaper would be a bonus), with similar specs and good performance?

2. The clearance between my floor and the TV set is around 930mm. Most floor standing speakers are taller. Can a set be recommended that?s good but is shorter than the above measurements? Looking at spending somewhere in the R5,000.00 bracket but again cheaper would be welcomed greatly.

3. I?ve read that bookshelf speakers are good, provided that I use a sub with them. Again, am I just believing everything I read online or is this really an option? As above any recommendations would be welcomed for something with good performance but that doesn?t break the bank. Same goes for a decent sub, preferably on the 8? to 10? size.

Bonus question:

Any idea where I could send the Zeppelin to to get assessed and hopefully fixed at a decent cost?

Looking forward to any help and advice however big or small that it may be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts