Sherwood or Pioneer

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I've decided to get an elderly couple a Christmas pressie. They miss their music & especially the radio being an always on feature in the cottage they live in, plus listening to the odd LP every now & then.

They were looking at an amp + tuner + TT, however I've seen a few fm/am receivers which will work just as well & probably be less complicated than separates.

I have a pair of HD7's that Merle repaired as well as an old Sansui FRD-25 TT that works well to give them, however I have no tuner or amp.

I've seen the Sherwood RX-5502 and the Pioneer SX-20 are both within my budget for this exercise. Both are fm/am receivers, so fit the bill so to speak.

I know the Pioneer of old (as in 1980's) was decent enough, ranked with the Kenwood & Sansui stack systems as far as I can recall. What are the current Pioneer offerings like? Any good? Reviews via google on the SX-20 seem fair to middling for an inexpensive unit.

Sherwood I know zip/zero/nada about. I know the name but that's about it. Google reviews on the RX-5502 seem mixed, some folks happy, some complaining about failure within the first weeks to months of use. Who are the agents for Sherwood locally?

Alternatively if anyone locally (Jozi) has any other options they'd like to suggest, all suggestions & advice are welcome.