A subtle crack at decent HiFi

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymon007

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So, I got a great deal on a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20's.
I've noticed that not many here know them as good speakers (mostly, people haven't heard them) but that's OK, even after the pretty big hype Q Acoustics got overseas over the last half-dozen years, most reputable reviewers have given fairly stellar reviews (within their price bracket of roughly 349 Pounds)
So after quite a lot of research I figured I couldn't get much better bang for my buck. The Elac's and Dali's (and even the Bentleys) would have worked out 30-80% more expensive and really they only compared to the cheaper Q Acoustics 3020/i.
So yeah, so far so good. They're still running in, and I doubt they're at their best yet.
Except I know for a fact that my silly little Pioneer VSX-323K is doing them absolutely no justice, and therefore I'm looking for a decent stereo amplifier and probably later some stands.
At this stage, they certainly sound better than my old Boston Acoustics CR6's but not to the extent that "blows me away"
I reckon after the run in, and once I pair them with amplification that does them some justice, they will most likely sound more as I envisioned.
I'd love to pair them with a good old stereo amp from Rotel or NAD (which can be purchased rather cheaply), but I hate losing the AV connectivity and ability, and of course the VSX doesn't have pre-outs...
Oh well, the search for cheap and decent sound continues...