Author Topic: Designing a speaker box  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Designing a speaker box
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
I think you may be surprised to find that the woofers are actually well suited to the original implementation. I recommend you investigate aperiodic ports (a.k.a. variovents).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
......This is intended as a bare bones build, getting the maximum return from the least investment, which includes Rudi's time....

I'd  reuse original cabs, maybe increase baffle thickness and bracing and aesthetics.  Then spend time/money on better cross over design.
Aren't Bass on vintage drivers/speakers  as a rule less than modern drivers :thinking:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »
Aren't Bass on vintage drivers/speakers  as a rule less than modern drivers :thinking:

Generally, yes.

Another thing to try (but risky, for obvious reasons) is to add mass to the cone. This increase bandwidth (downwards) at the expense of efficiency.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online vleisman

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
I'd  reuse original cabs
Not possible, these cabinets are toast. I can rebuild using thicker material, which I'll look into

Online vleisman

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
I think you may be surprised to find that the woofers are actually well suited to the original implementation. I recommend you investigate aperiodic ports (a.k.a. variovents).
Will do, thanks

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
Not possible, these cabinets are toast. I can rebuild using thicker material, which I'll look into
If not the originals then use inside dimensions....R&D, add stability (baffle thickness/bracing)  but improve on cross over that was probably built to a price point?

In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline SeanS

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
I love the look.. I'd leave them as is and accept them as a reflection of the time. Maybe replace any old dodgy electrolytics.

Online vleisman

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Started building the boxes using some 16mm MDF that I had lying around.

Things learnt so far :
1. You need more MDF than you think
2. Cutting speaker holes is not as easy as you think.
3. Planning is underrated and not my strong suit

Cutting small holes is not bad if you have the right size hole saw. Cutting big holes isn't bad using a router and a circle jig. The in-between sizes are a pain, too big for a hole saw, too small for a router.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Online bbe22

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
The in-between sizes are a pain, too big for a hole saw, too small for a router.
                       >>>>>>>>>jig will take care of that, easy DIY   :)

Offline Rick

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
The easiest for the in-between holes is an adjustable fly cutter in a drill press, they cut 60mm to 240mm holes - looks like a horizontal bar with two blades facing downwards. Goes through MDF like butter, quickest cleanest holes I ever made. Not sure if anybody can suggest a source I don't often see them in stores.

Offline GECO

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:31 PM »
i have a jasper jig

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »
I took the difficult option with the Laikas and the latest OBs.  12 holes with a jigsaw designed for straight lines.  Both looked a bit of a mess (old shelving which was 18mm thick and hardwood for the OBs) but a bit of judicious wood glueing and trimming with a rasp (never again) and the drivers fitted and were screwed in from the front.  Not too shabby.  With boxes you can always add a cover to hide any perceived glitches.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »
I have built many speaker cabinets in my young days with those Coral drivers. Amazing sound if the cabinet is built correctly. Coral sold a cabinet design (plans) with the the driver kit. I used to buy these at Hamrad back in the days.

The best material to use with these drivers is green high density chipboard or otherwise known as high density waterproof particle board. This is not the normal chipboard you buy to make cabinets from.

There are a huge number of Coral cabinet plans on Pinterest for you to choose from. Have fun!

Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Online vleisman

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
There are a huge number of Coral cabinet plans on Pinterest for you to choose from. Have fun!

Thanks, but I'm not finding much, a few full-range plans and some horn plans for various drivers. The drivers I have seem scarce  :nfi:

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
Thanks, but I'm not finding much, a few full-range plans and some horn plans for various drivers. The drivers I have seem scarce  :nfi:

For the 10L-70 you need a cabinet of about 55 liters. I can remember these were a tad heavy to pick up!

Look here - http://www.diy-audio-guide.com/coral-speakers.html

Will look more tonight for you.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~