Author Topic: Cellphone upgrades  (Read 839 times)

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
Cellphone upgrades
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »
Hi All

I am sure many of you have recently upgraded your cellphones with the latest and just want to get your hands on reviews. I am looking at the below options for an upgrade from the Samsung S7.
I am not against Apple as have used in the past, the only downside with Apple is the closed architecture of the operating system with other operating systems.

iPhone X 256gb
LG V30
Samsung S8
Samsung Note 8

Cheers

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
Re: Cellphone upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
Hi All

I am sure many of you have recently upgraded your cellphones with the latest and just want to get your hands on reviews. I am looking at the below options for an upgrade from the Samsung S7.
I am not against Apple as have used in the past, the only downside with Apple is the closed architecture of the operating system with other operating systems.

iPhone X 256gb
LG V30
Samsung S8
Samsung Note 8

Cheers

Wifey got the iPhone X 256GB and she is pretty happy with it so far. Personally I'm not an iSheeple so steer far away from them

I have the S8+ which I am very happy with apart from this irritating little bugger called "Bixby"

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

i am using an lg v30+ ("+" means it has 128gb on board)
good phone, with an above average, but not perhaps as good as the hype might make you think, dac.
battery life is not as good as my old s7 edge, accessories are very limited, & & the screen is hard to see in the sun.
otherwise it performs all it's phonely duties quite competently. i find the camera to be really very good.

if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »
My personal preference is for iOS.

Having been through multiple iPhones, iPads as well as multiple Android (Samsung, Sony & Huawei) phones & tablets I have found the iOS system far more user friendly, intuitive and sensible to use/operate. Plus the regular updates from Apple, as opposed to Android (I'm still waiting for Huawei to release any OS or security updates for a 3 year old P8......).

I know there are lots of Apple detractors, however if you want to use the phone as a tool & require it to simply work, then IMHO Apple is the only way to go. If on the other hand you want it as a toy to fiddle with, the go Android as it is easier to flash a new ROM and faff with.

Couple of reasons to illustrate why I feel the way I do:
1. When replying to an email from iOS there is the option to always BCC myself. This way the email chain remains intact on both desktop & phone. This can be set to happen automatically. On Android I need to input my own address in the BCC field every time I send an email. At 40+ emails a day it becomes a PITA.
2. When deleting a text message on iOS I simply swipe left. On Android I must touch & hold, then press delete, then press OK when asked if I am sure I want to delete it. What a PITA. Is this OS for stupid and/or indecisive people? :)
3. iOS keyboard is brilliant. Plus it has emoticons etc. built in already. Android (both Sony & Huawei) stock keyboard is atrociousl. I then need to go to the App store, seek & find an app for something as basic as a keyboard? Seriously? It's idiotic, why can't the standard ones be functional? Huawei didn't even have emoticons! So I had to try 3, 4 or 5 apps before finding a decent one, just to be able to bloody type an email or text message!

Those were the three main reasons that sent me back to iOS each time I "strayed".

As always, YMMV.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
What to remember is upgrades will always go out of date quick. Easiest way is just choose what platform you want and go with the best deal.

If you Vodacom you can call me and I can get it done. No hassles or queues

I have the S8 plus and it has been great have not even opened my iPhone X yet

Offline avi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »
Wait for s9

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Thanks for feedback much appreciated.

Trompie & Juggie - Wouldnt mind the Iphone X but the whole IOS / iTUNES software environment is what puts me off. Airplay is great as use it off my ipad for home use but when it comes to sharing media with non Apple users its just a PITA

I have spoken Vodacom and release of the S9 and Note 9 is end March in SA considering the S7 i have is pretty much new maybe the 3 month wait isnt such a bad idea.

As for the LG v30 apparently it isnt all its cracked up to be so will give it a miss.

Thanks again, keep feedback coming

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Is the S9 going to be better than the Note 8?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Huawei Mate 10 Pro  :thumbs:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:59 PM »
I had a great love affair with my LG G4, until it died on me. I now Own a G6. It is OK, with poor front camera (bad in low light). If I were to choose again, I would probably shoot for Samsung s8+ or Note 8.
My advice: always go for the flagship models in the range; the rest are compromised.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
I have a Samsung S7 edge and must admit it is faultless and the best phone I've owned by far. I can only assume that the S/Note 8 are even better.

It all comes down to whether you have other Apple products at home and want integration, then go for IPhone.

Most of my friends have moved from Iphone to Samsung over the years stating that they are happy with Macbooks, Ipads etc, but find Iphones lagging behind Samsung. Lack of headphone socket is one thing complained about, and dodgy charging connector. Samsungs screens are far superior and brighter IMO too.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Nitelee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
I have a Samsung S7 edge and must admit it is faultless and the best phone I've owned by far. I can only assume that the S/Note 8 are even better.

It all comes down to whether you have other Apple products at home and want integration, then go for IPhone.

Most of my friends have moved from Iphone to Samsung over the years stating that they are happy with Macbooks, Ipads etc, but find Iphones lagging behind Samsung. Lack of headphone socket is one thing complained about, and dodgy charging connector. Samsungs screens are far superior and brighter IMO too.

Agreed I know a ton of people that have moved across.  Love my S7 and everyone I know that had the S8 loves it.  I do agree with waiting for the S9 though.

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
Only this about the S8+ I despise is Bixby, I have tried on numerous occasions to the the little bugger off but keep getting notifications  :fuse:

Offline Mervin

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Security Audit and Control Solutions
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
Have both the S8 and Note 8.  Difficult to choose which one to use at a time.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia