Author Topic: Deezer's lossless "Hi Fi" service just launched  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Deezer's lossless "Hi Fi" service just launched
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
I've long been a user of Deezer for their geat music library and their price. The problem was that when weighed against Tidal's lossless offering, Deezer could only muster MP3 at 320kb quality (unless you owned a Sonos). That has just changed.

It is now the second option for lossless CD quality streaming, making it a real option for digital audiophiles.

The caveat is that for now at least, you have to run the beta of the their improved desktop app to make use of the service (the mobile app still only streams MP3)... but that, along with R119, which is the same as Tidal's new price, is a small price to pay for access to their massive library.

SOURCE ARTICLE: https://www.whathifi.com/news/new-deezer-desktop-app-brings-cd-quality-streaming

DEEZER HIFI: https://www.deezer.com/en/offers/hifi

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
Re: Deezer's lossless "Hi Fi" service just launched
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
I see there is an R89 special if you join Deezer HiFi now. Not sure if the special is only for Sonos users.

Just a pity there is no Roon integration. If streaming options on Roon remains limited to Tidal I may revert back to LMS even though I have a lifetime subscription to Roon. In the ideal world we would have one HiFi streaming services combined with Spotify for the kids.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
I see there is an R89 special if you join Deezer HiFi now. Not sure if the special is only for Sonos users.

Just a pity there is no Roon integration. If streaming options on Roon remains limited to Tidal I may revert back to LMS even though I have a lifetime subscription to Roon. In the ideal world we would have one HiFi streaming services combined with Spotify for the kids.

Just upgraded to it now so suffice it to say, it isn't limited to Sonos anymore. Unfortunately, I'm an old Deezer member so no signup discount for me.

Still very early days (the lossless service only works through the official Deezer desktop app) but it's in beta and I've already emailed Deezer to provide support for WASAPI and ASIO. I'm sure support for things like mobile and Roon will come soon now that the quality is fitting.

Right now, I'm just happy to not give any money to Jay-Z and his friends. :winkwink:

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
Thanks just signed up, awesome! Although the app is downloading at 300Kbps so this may take a while  :headbanger:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:43:04 PM by ScottulusMaximus »
Importing made easy!

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
Thanks just signed up, awesome! Although the app is downloading at 300Kbps so this may take a while  :headbanger:
I you enjoy it. Been listening for about an hour now and I'm quite impressed at the quality improvement.

Offline dekardy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm an old Deezer member so no signup discount for me.
Same here, however I was offered an option to "try" Deezer for 3 months at a cost of R10  :Whoohoo:.  HiFi quality playing now on the desktop app.

Just a pity there is no Roon integration.
Here's hoping that would change  :thinking:

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »
Same here, however I was offered an option to "try" Deezer for 3 months at a cost of R10  :Whoohoo:.  HiFi quality playing now on the desktop app.
Here's hoping that would change  :thinking:
I didnt get the same option. Oh well.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
For those of us who do not have home internet or credit cards:

1. Can you somehow buy a voucher for this
2. Can you download content
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:37:30 PM »
Not sure about vouchers.
You can download to play offline via their app.

Offline dekardy

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
1. Can you somehow buy a voucher for this
2. Can you download content
1. Yes, https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/212779045-Deezer-Digital-Gift-Cards, but you still have to pay with a Visa or Mastercard.  Some debit cards are Visa or Mastercard enabled.
2. Yes using their mobile app.  I see they have plan to do the same for the desktop app.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
Never mind - I donít do any debit cards online or apps - safety first folks!

Thatís why I do iTunes - I can buy a cash voucher at PnP or an iStore, download what I want and leave it at that
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:54:57 PM by JonnyP »
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline dekardy

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
Never mind - I donít do any debit cards online or apps - safety first folks!

Kudos.  You have a few other options too.  This was taken from MyBroadband.

1. EasyPay Wallet, via the VCPay app. This app is available for iOS, Android and Blackberry. You create an online wallet, EFT money into it, or top it up at a supermarket or kiosk, and use the VCPay app to create a virtual credit card from which you can access your funds. This works even when your phone is offline, and is the safest, because the CC numbers change everytime you use it. Thus, it's completely clone proof.

2. Prepaid credit cards. These can be bought from Dischem and other stores. You buy the card (they're cheap, about R5), and put money onto it. Then it can be used as a normal credit/debit card. You use it until the funds are spent, and then you throw it away I presume. These are also pretty safe, because it's not connected to your bank account, it can only be used until the funds are spent.

3. An embossed debit card. If you have a debit card, like I do, from your bank, and it's embossed, and has the MasterCard logo, it can be used as a credit card. However, your bank might phone you to confirm the purchase.

https://www.vcpay.co.za/
https://www.entropay.com/
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/212086-Prepaid-Virtual-Credit-Cards
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/591133-How-to-buy-things-online-without-a-credit-card!

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
Version 2 looks good.  Will have a look at dis chem at the weekend.  Iíve always wanted a pre-paid credit card.  They actually trialled a similar thing in my hometown in the UK but it needed a specific reader and was a disaster.

I had credit before and never ever ever will borrow again (it took four years for me to build up the courage to ask for a bond - I then paid every cent I could into it monthly and paid it off).  Iím classified as a risk averse person and difficult by my local bank!  Mainly because I will only deal with them at the bank (never trust a bank - meet them on their turf, donít use a personal banker - they do not care, their only function is to sell you credit, rather test customer service in branch - they should know their jobs!)

On a more realistic note - that personal banker you use? Probably on a zero hour/commission based contract - force your bank to give them a better deal by insisting on going in.  Your money is paying for their services and the bank is cutting corners to make profit margins larger for rich twots.

Rant over, Iíll get some chill pills too

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Upgraded yesterday and been listening since early morning, the sound quality is great. (Amarra SQ+)

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:34 PM »
Upgraded yesterday and been listening since early morning, the sound quality is great. (Amarra SQ+)
All they need is ASIO/WASAPI support and it would replace 90% of my FLAC collection.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk