Author Topic: Refurbishing old wood  (Read 466 times)

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Refurbishing old wood
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »
I'm looking for some advice on how to treat the wood on my Beomaster 1000. It is in very good nick despite being 45+ years old - see photo. In fact it really just needs a touch up - there are no deep scratches, just slight discolouration and the odd coffee cup ring. I was thinking a very light sand and then maybe something like a few thin layers of Woodoc or teak oil/polish? It is made of plywood, so the outer layer is somewhat thicker than the veneer typically found. I'll do the same thing on the Beogram 1000 turntable which has similar wood. But I look forward to some wise advice from the masters.

Sadly the Beovox 2400 speakers are not as good - the veneer is delaminating, so I'm going to rub down with steel wool and woodoc very lightly

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:35:40 PM by El Sid »

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Refurbishing old wood
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:05:45 PM »
Veneer is fixable, not a problem. Superglue and Contact glue will do the job. Superglue is easier with less chance of contaminating the surface. Contact glue is better but difficult to get it in without contaminating the surface.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:23:03 PM »
Hmmmm... Sounds pretty complicated - perhaps I should pop in for a consultation? :whistler: :dop:

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:30:06 PM »
:thumbs:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
🥃

Waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Online bushtech37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »
I have been very happy with "Danish oil" that I restored an old dining room table with.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
I have been very happy with "Danish oil" that I restored an old dining room table with.
Applying Danish Oil so that it becomes truly permanent and does not stink is a long process. Many, many thin diluted coats. Months before it's fully cured.

Simple equivalent (mix of natural oils, waxes and polyurethane) is Woodock 10. Dead easy to work with, permanent after 24hrs, does not stink.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »
Mike, how do you treat where the veneer is lifting as in the pictures?

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
A tiny drop of superglue on the tip of Exacto knife carefully inserted under the veneer through the crack/split. Press and hold for 15sec. Repeat; one tiny drop at the time.
Slow method, but solid results.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
A tiny drop of superglue on the tip of Exacto knife carefully inserted under the veneer through the crack/split. Press and hold for 15sec. Repeat; one tiny drop at the time.
Slow method, but solid results.

Tx,, got so somewhere to try this part
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline JimGore

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »
Many of the older cabinets I have worked on has Shellac on it for a finish.

What's nice about that is new shellac will soften and blend with old shellac, so where you have a surface finish problem, you can sand it gently then reapply shellac and blend it in with the surrounding area.

As for the lifting veneer - you can make it look better using the method described by Mike, and it may work well enough. In my exprince tho the only way to get the surface perfect again is to strip that down or sand it  down flat, then apply a fresh veneer to it using polyurethane or epoxy adhesive.

Contact adhesive isn't a long term solution because it never completely cures, is heat and moisture sensitive and easily breaks down in the presence of solvents of any kind. Some people do have better luck than others tho so, you may get it to work.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
Ian.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
...Contact adhesive isn't a long term solution because it never completely cures, is heat and moisture sensitive and easily breaks down in the presence of solvents of any kind.
100% with you on that. The worst thing - you start applying oil or solvent based finish on article veneered using contact glue. If you wet it enough, it penetrates to the glue layer and lifts it, usually permanently. Ouch!

I love hide-bone glue for most things. It's a bit of "acquired taste" working with it, but the payback is great.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
Kind regards,
Ian.
Welcome back mast'a!!!!!!!!  :clap: :2thumbs: :dop: :mates:

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
...odd coffee cup ring.

Coffee rings? Like in white circles?

Place a dry cotton pillow case over it and iron it for 5 seconds at a time on medium heat. Wait and check in between each time to check and to make sure it doesn't overheat. Let it cool down a bit in between if need be as it must never get HOT. After about 10 minutes the white circle will fade... if you are lucky, completely!