Author Topic: Sanyo RD 5350 Stereo Casette Deck  (Read 485 times)

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
Sanyo RD 5350 Stereo Casette Deck
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »
To the tape deck Gurus picked the below up.

Need to pick some brains here for assistance,  with or without a tape if I push play it goes for 3 seconds then stops.

What could it possibly be? Or too many things could be the cause to give a diagnosis?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Sanyo RD 5350 Stereo Casette Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »
No clue.  Very pretty though!

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »
Check and change the belts.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »

skollie
Is it a difficult job for a complete noob

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline gapco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:06 PM »
Does the deck fast forward and rewind the tape without stopping? Check if the tape counter works when you try this.
Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Toybox
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:21:34 AM »

Agreed.
They usually have a motion sensing system on the right reel hub, or counter pulley. If a belt (or rubber idler wheel) has failed, the reel hub does not turn and the mechanism 'thinks' the tape is at an end.

Not difficult to replace, but it sometimes involves a lot of disssembly - many things to remove before the belt can be got in. And, getting the right replacement can be tricky: with no official service and parts support any longer, you have to buy a generic belt, and that means YOU have to measure the size, which you cannot do from measuring an old belt that is broken or streched. You need to make a 'test belt' from cotton thread to check the size.

The other common problem is grease that goes hard and jams up the moving levers in the mechanism. Turpentine is good for cleanng that.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
Does the deck fast forward and rewind the tape without stopping? Check if the tape counter works when you try this.

I did Fast Forward and the counter did work but it did pull out the tape.

Agreed.
They usually have a motion sensing system on the right reel hub, or counter pulley. If a belt (or rubber idler wheel) has failed, the reel hub does not turn and the mechanism 'thinks' the tape is at an end.

Not difficult to replace, but it sometimes involves a lot of disssembly - many things to remove before the belt can be got in. And, getting the right replacement can be tricky: with no official service and parts support any longer, you have to buy a generic belt, and that means YOU have to measure the size, which you cannot do from measuring an old belt that is broken or streched. You need to make a 'test belt' from cotton thread to check the size.

The other common problem is grease that goes hard and jams up the moving levers in the mechanism. Turpentine is good for cleaning that.

So this is not for the novice then......who are the tape deck masters in JHB or not worth the fix?
Its not something i would use often so if not fixed then will put on the shelf for display where it was with the previous owner for over 15 years.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
So this beauty was given a once over and is working 100%
Took it home and listened to 1 track on an old mix tape that had lying around from days gone by.

Now to see if i can find some original tapes and sit back an enjoy.  :dance:

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
Juventino!

Came late to this. I have had such a deck for 40 years now, works flawlessly but I did 'service' occasionally, seeing as how Pretoria is not the cleanest city in the country.

Can you tell what was the matter then?

Mine is/was not used that regularly but still has original belts. I modified it somewhat to give a goodly 16 KHz response with ferrotape. At a time I often used it for mixing-'splicing' voice and music used in prsentations, as the pause function really has an instant start when held just "off". The 'Recording Mute' facility also came in handy. I guess time to also go over once again and 'restore' whatever is lacking.

PS: The festoon meter lamps are difficult to get hold of. 
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
Juventino!

Came late to this. I have had such a deck for 40 years now, works flawlessly but I did 'service' occasionally, seeing as how Pretoria is not the cleanest city in the country.

Can you tell what was the matter then?

Mine is/was not used that regularly but still has original belts. I modified it somewhat to give a goodly 16 KHz response with ferrotape. At a time I often used it for mixing-'splicing' voice and music used in prsentations, as the pause function really has an instant start when held just "off". The 'Recording Mute' facility also came in handy. I guess time to also go over once again and 'restore' whatever is lacking.

PS: The festoon meter lamps are difficult to get hold of.

Hi there,

All it needed was a clean, all belts were still in good condition and all the lamps all working. The level meters needed a slight adjustment as the left channel ( i think) was slightly off.

Sounds great and very surprised it only needed a clean considering it has not been switched on for 20 years

Offline christowp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
So who worked the magic? The noob?

Offline gapco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
So who worked the magic? The noob?

I worked on the deck. Simple job because the unit had been well stored and never opened before.
Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....